CHOCOLATE ROULADE – YULE LOG
A Christmas specialty
WHAT YOU WILL NEED
- 2 medium sized mixing bowls
- Mixing device
- Pot to fit bowls for the stove top
- Fine sifter
- Victoria sandwich tin
- 2 sheets of baking paper
- Large spoon
- Pallet knife or rubber scraper
- Soft tea towel
- Serving dish
- Oven Temperature 170°c
- Preparation Time 45 minutes
- Cook Time 10 – 15 minutes, plus cooling
For the log:
- 5 Eggs
- 200gm Caster sugar
- 100gm Dark cocoa powder
- 100gm Cornflour
- Icing sugar for dusting
For internal and external:
- 400gm Dairy free spread
- 200gm Caster sugar
- 200gm Dark couverture chocolate
- 2tsp Vanilla essence
- Fresh berries of choice
- Prepare sandwich tin lined with baking parchment paper – also required a piece of greaseproof same size as sandwich tin (THIS IS FOR AFTER COOKING).
- Separate eggs into two bowls – I prefer stainless steel, but any will do.
- Whip egg yolks with 100gm sugar until light and creamy.
- Whip egg whites over double boiler with 100gm sugar until SOFT shiny peaks form.
- Sift together THREE times cocoa powder and corn flour (this will aerate the dry ingredients and make it easier to fold in).
- Take yolk mixture and add half the dry ingredients and one third of egg white mix – stir to combine.
- Cut and fold into above mix the other half of dry ingredients and another third of egg white mix.
- Fold in balance of egg white mix. This is done in large slow movements to leave air in the sponge, do not over mix.
- Pour mixture into prepared tin (spray and line with one sheet of baking paper) – tap tin on bench to flatten (Victoria sandwich tin).
- Bake 170° for 10-15 minutes until risen and dry on top – ensure that it is springy.
- Remove from oven and dust with icing sugar, place greaseproof paper on top followed by soft tea towel.
- Invert tray quickly onto towel. Remove pan and carefully peel the paper away and roll up cake immediately from the long side – leave to cool, in the roll and wrap the roll in the tea towel.
- Whip Fat or butter substitute with 200 gram of caster sugar and add the Vanilla, whip until pale and creamy.
- Melt chocolate in a microwave or on top of a double boiler, cool slightly.
- Combine chocolate and butter cream slowly and only when the chocolate is warm. You can add some alcohol at this stage or spray soak the sponge. Be careful not to allow the cream to seperate.
(If it does return to the beating and add a splash of hot water and beat fast, it should re incorporate)
- Clean and wash berries.
- Carefully unwrap roll and remove paper. Line inside with butter cream and top with berries.
- Re roll cake tightly and place on the serving dish, then coat with the remaining butter cream. It is at this stage that you use a fork to make wavy lines to make the log look like a log. Dust with cocoa or icing sugar and spread berries around the serving dish.
- Can be served with a fruit coulis (fruit sauce) and chocolate shavings (Grate some chocolate is the easy way).
- Serve a generous slice and Happy Christmas.
This is the last dish for 2021. Make sure you clean up with Pureworx, you will not believe how easy the fat dissolves after spraying and you can rinse in warm water, knowing all germs and grease are gone. Happy Christmas and a wonderful 2022, I will be back in February for a late summer recipe.